Judging

Judging people is wrong. Right?

But we judge people all the time. We tell others that this person is helpful or friendly and that one is a sneaky little thing.

When I read books, I judge them according to how I feel when I read them. I notice if the book makes me laugh, cry, or pound the arm of the chair while shouting, "No! No! Don't go with him. He'll just get you into trouble!" Okay, I don't actually shout. But I feel like it sometimes.

We have to judge the situations we get into, or are about to get into, as to whether we are safe in that situation. We have to judge people who give advice before making the decision to take their advice. Are they trustworthy? Are they only trying to sell something?

We judge others all the time, but do we judge ourselves enough?

If a woman has a poor opinion of herself, it may be because she has not listened to the right voices around her. If she listens to the voice that says she'll never amount to anything, she won't. She might have a poor opinion of herself and overcompensate, causing others to see her with a "too high" opinion of herself.

How do we judge ourselves with a good attitude?

I look in the mirror of the Bible. When I read it, I can see myself according to how God sees me. He sees my potential. He sees the truth of how I live - better than any advisor on earth.

I can ask God to make up for my weaknesses with His strength. I can ask God to help my foolishness with His wisdom. It seems odd to go to The Almighty God for something as little as me. But the funny thing is, He wants to help me. He cares for the little people too.

God wants us to use good judgement - His wisdom - every day. He wants us to judge ourselves correctly, not too harshly. He also wants us to use His wisdom when we think about judging others.

The fear of God (the great respect for God and the deep desire to obey Him promptly and completely) is the beginning of wisdom.

No comments: