Chicken or the Egg

Conundrum. A puzzling problem. Which do I focus on first? Getting my manuscript honed, re-edited, and polished or getting the road to publishing paved?

Since one cannot be a published novelist without having a polished manuscript and one cannot properly polish a manuscript without sticking one's head in the publishing door and looking around, the answer is: juggle.

My husband can juggle balls. I can't. But being a mom has given me the ability to juggle schedules, chores, play time, and meal-making. I know that writers have to juggle their writing time, marketing time, mentoring time, and their craft-improvement time. Then they have to juggle their writing life (include all of the above) with their home life, friendship-development life, local volunteering life, and their family-visiting life.

Talk about a lot of balls in the air. It's just crazy, isn't it? But it's life.

I enjoy going to writing conferences because I get to learn on several levels. I learn about people (possibly begin friendships), the industry, the craft, the marketing process, the editing process, etc. Trying to be well-rounded in growth will help me be ready for more opportunities than if I were to focus on one thing at a time.

I believe Christian novelists can help each other. And I believe that's what God wants us to do. My problem is figuring out how I can help others. I know there are many people who are experienced in publishing and can teach me much, but who wants to learn something from someone who doesn't have all those many years in the industry?

Recently, I've signed up to volunteer in a position that needed a volunteer. The requirements were that one be present and willing to obey instruction. I can do that. I may not be able to mentor a beginner novelist, but I can help someone else.

Since we are all unique and have our own individual gifts, I can be unashamed of who I am and remain positive about my forward progress - even if it means there are many who will be published ahead of me. I can't compare myself to others, only to where I might be if I quit.

I keep writing, reading, making friends, and helping where I can. That's my job.

So, here's a big thank you to my family and friends for your patience - and to my husband who supports me. Big hugs ;)

2 comments:

Camy Tang said...

There's tons we can all do to help other writers, no matter where we are in our writing journey! ACFW has lots of volunteer positions, and none of them require you to be published or have experience--just a willingness to help. That's what I love about ACFW--people don't treat you differently if you're published or not. We all try to help each other.
Camy

Domino said...

Thanks Camy! ACFW has been very good to me. I've signed up to volunteer at the conference so I can give back to an organization full of givers.

Maybe I'll get to see you there.