Heroic Blue Man Group

Creative, driven, vulnerable, smart. Four of my favorite ten heroic qualities. All of these four are displayed in the performances of Blue Man Group.

I haven’t seen their show in a theater, only on TV. So I know those of you who have seen them perform live (not on TV) are shaking your heads in pity at me. Don’t worry. I plan to get tickets to one of the performances so I can experience it for myself. But the performance I saw on TV was enough to get me and my son drumming to their music on our carpet.

Surprising audiences everywhere with their twists on a new idea, they ooze creativity under the blue masks. I would’ve never thought to configure the strings on a piano to specific chord arrangements that would sound good when hit with a huge hammer.

The group has been around awhile which leads me to believe they are neither an overnight success nor a one hit wonder. They are driven to keep coming up with new shows. They are driven to achieve new levels of creativity, combining music, drama, art, and science.

Some of their antics show the three men as outsiders looking in on our culture, and at times one of the men is an outsider to the other two. It takes a certain vulnerability to allow yourself to be yourself when you could just fall in line with the group.

And they are smart. A brief clip on the TV showed the Rock Concert tip #237, an overly intellectualized explanation of what the audience had just witnessed, but hilarious. Hilarious.

No, I won’t put the Blue Man Group as a hero in any of my stories, but I do find them heroic in terms of displaying heroic qualities in their performances.

And until I get to be in the theater with them, I’ll drum wildly on the carpet with my son.

No comments: