How To Improve Heroes, part one

Heroes can be improved dramatically with great writing skill. So how do we improve our skill?

Tip #1: Read Self-Editing for Fiction Writers.

I’ve read and re-read this book, and I still learn from it. The chapters, from Show and Tell to Voice, give insightful instructions and clear examples. Misdirection in dialogue, removing an abundance of repetition in favor of highlighting meaningful repetition, and how to avoid proportion problems are just a few of the topics covered.

The checklist provided at the end of every chapter reminds the reader of four or five of the main points in a nutshell. I’ve made notes about particular things in the checklist that I want to pay close attention to. But I still thumb through the chapters to look for those circles I draw around important sentences.

I highly recommend this for writers of all levels because it focuses on the basics that are sometimes overlooked. Heroes are as weak as Superman in a Kryptonite jacket when they think something in narrative and then say the same thing in dialogue immediately afterward.

For more information about Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King, get a copy for yourself.

Coming next week: Tip #2

No comments: