Guest Blogger Camy Tang



Today, I’m pleased to bring you a guest post from my friend Camy Tang. I met her before Sushi for One?, her first book in the Sushi Series, was released. Now her second book, Only Uni, is in bookstores. (Hint: ask for them in a bookstore near you.)

Come back Thursday for my review of Only Uni.

I asked Camy to tell me about her heroes because I love getting to know more about interesting people. Don’t you?

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Web, I present to you: Camy Tang (applause).

Heroes

I’ve had several heroes in my life. They’ve each influenced me in different ways—isn’t that always the way it is?

God put each person in my path at just the right time in my life. I’ve learned things and been encouraged and supported by each person.

It wouldn’t be fair to list only one, so I’ll list a few top ones.

My mom, because she encouraged me to write. She never said, “No, it’s such a longshot for anyone to be published.” Or “You won’t make much money as an author, you know.” She just said, “If you wan to write, then go for it.”

My dad, because he encouraged my love of reading. When Mom was shopping in Ala Moana, he’d take me to the bookstore and let me wander there for over an hour. He never complained about how long I was taking. He always bought me a book.

My friend Linda in college. She was the first person I had ever met who was my own age and who had a deep relationship with God like I’d never seen before. Previously, all the Christians I knew were much older than myself, but Linda was young, hip, and completely in love with Christ. Her strong faith and enthusiasm for God impacted me deeply, and I finally started walking with Christ a year after I met her.

My discipler from church, Miki. She discipled me for several years, both before and after I met Captain Caffeine. We did a weekly Bible study at her house. She really challenged me to grow in my faith and seek Christ first. Her advice ranged from encouragement to practical tips, and she was matron of honor at my wedding. She isn’t discipling me anymore, but we’re still close, and she’s one of the first people I’d turn to for advice.

My husband, Captain Caffeine. He’s compatible with me in ways I didn’t even realize I needed to be compatible. He calms me down when I’m frustrated, he steers me in the right direction when I’m confused, and he’s much more disciplined than I am. The house would burn down if he didn’t turn off the stove for me, the trash would pile up if he didn’t remember that today’s trash pick up day, and the dog would be much more destructive if he didn’t walk her every morning.

These are my heroes. Like anyone’s personal heroes, they’ve impacted me so profoundly that I would be a completely different person if God hadn’t brought them into my life.

Camy Tang is the loud Asian chick who writes loud Asian chick lit. She used to be a biologist, but now she is a staff worker for her church youth group and leads a worship team for Sunday service. She also runs the Story Sensei fiction critique service. On her blog, she gives away Christian novels every Monday and Thursday, and she ponders frivolous things like dumb dogs (namely, hers), coffee-geek husbands (no resemblance to her own...), the writing journey, Asiana, and anything else that comes to mind. Visit her website at http://www.camytang.com/ for a huge website contest going on right now, giving away five boxes of books and 25 copies of her latest release, ONLY UNI.

No comments: