Point of View

Being a writer, I enjoy reading books that have high quality writing. I've read plenty that didn't. My favorite books show the protagonist's heroic qualities without slapping the reader in the face with writing that says, "Look at all the big words I know. Look at this one particular detail that isn't really as important as I'm making it seem. Look at how I can hop from head to head and tell what everyone in the room is thinking - all in the same scene."

I keep learning how to improve my fiction as I go. A good resource for fiction writers is a site I found recently called MY BOOK THERAPY.

Rachel Hauck and Susan May Warren contribute their ideas and experience to the blog. Examples from their books help readers understand the day's lesson better.

Yesterday's post started a discussion on Point of View. This is a topic that many beginner writers really need to study. I've read novels that try to bring emotion to the story by sharing what both characters in the scene are silently feeling. It's distracting. I didn't finish reading one story (I don't remember who the author was) because of all the head-hopping. When the hero gets to finish his thoughts without being interrupted by the heroine's thoughts, I'll keep reading.

My Book Therapy explains what to look for. I'm looking forward to more of this valuable resource.

No comments: