Warning: Frustrated Writer

My critique group recently finished reading my completed 80,000 word novel. Their comments were very helpful, but I still have a lot of work to do on it.

I actually felt pretty good about it until I got the judges’ comments from the Genesis contest. The judges read fifteen pages and gave their opinions. Although my best marks were for inspirational (spiritual) elements and the hook and POV, it seems I didn’t sufficiently grab the interest of one of the judges.

The reason I'm not upset (frustrated, but not upset) about one low score is simply that contest judges are exactly like people in bookstores. Not everyone who enters a bookstore is going to leap for joy when they pick up my book. There are many genres and styles of writing so that everyone can find what they like, but not everyone will like the same thing.

I've heard a lot of encouraging comments about my stories, but I still want to polish my manuscript to the point that it's unforgettable - in a good way. One day that same judge will pick it up and finish the whole book - and hopefully enjoy it.

Even though I’m frustrated with my interesting (but perhaps flawed) first novel, I know how to pick myself up and move on. This week’s plan is to prepare my next manuscript for my critique group. I love the accountability in my group. They make me work.

Persistence is absolutely essential in publishing, I’m told.

I'm working on it.

No comments: