Boating versus SCUBA

I’ve only been SCUBA diving once. It was a blast – so much fun I wanted to live in Mexico or the Cayman Islands and go diving twice each week.

I’ve also been on a whale watching trip. I didn’t get sea-sick, but almost everyone else did. I was busy watching the water for signs of whales, so I really didn’t notice the other people.

The boating trip was a lot of fun, but I really enjoyed diving more. I was delighted to be surrounded by sea life. I saw things at thirty to forty feet underwater that I’ve never seen before.

The boating trip showed me glimpses of something bigger. The surface of the water didn’t display all of its exciting secrets. You had to go deeper to see what the water had to offer.

I think conversations with people can be brief surface encounters that just give us a glimpse of another person, or they can be a deeper encounter that reveal exciting things. I like the deeper conversations better.

The habit of meaningful conversation will help your efforts to better your relationships with your kids or anyone you love. If you want to deepen your relationships with family and friends, try creating some conversation starters. Keep a list on your phone for when you are surprised by a loved one who has time to spend in deep conversation with you. 

No comments: