I AM LEGEND

Recently, I was in New York and found myself on a bus tour for the first time. When we got to Washington Square, I nudged my husband as the tour guide mentioned that this was the setting for Will Smith's movie, I Am Legend. We had just rented it so the scene was fresh in our minds.

Will Smith plays Robert Neville, the last man in NYC – since he’s immune from the disease that has turned humans into rabid monsters. These monsters, Dark Seekers, are after him and he’s done everything he can to protect himself and his dog while he continues working on a way to reverse the disease and heal the infected Dark Seekers.

The movie has many references to God, in word and idea. But the unspoken elements that show God were slipped into surprising places throughout the movie. That part of the movie kept me thinking about the movie long after I’d finished watching it.

Neville prays with his wife and has a conversation about God with another character. Many films have people praying, but when it’s done in respect and not desperation, it adds to the respect I have for the character.

The “Stay in the light” sign was a warning with a spiritual connotation. It obviously was for the people who were no longer there. They’d either been killed or infected and no longer lived a normal human life. To me, it was a reminder that those who are in the light must stay in the light to help those in darkness. Being set apart helps those in the light find help for those in darkness. This was the life Neville lived.

Neville’s life during the story was a sacrifice for the infected people. He could’ve rounded up an enormous amount of ammunition and set out to kill them all, but instead his mission was to find a cure. He methodically went through steps and considered options and didn’t give up. Since he knew he could help them, he kept trying.

The woman at the end encouraged Neville to listen to God. This is one of the themes in my stories. If people listen to God, they find more light for their journey, and they can see where they’re going. And they can follow what God says – and find success. I don’t find this theme in many films, and I was quite surprised (and pleased) to find it in this one.

The scary parts were head-turners for me. I look at shoes, fingernails, furniture, anything but the ugliness of the computer-generated creatures. I loved the dog and the hope in Neville’s attitude, but the Dark Seekers didn’t get much eyeball time from me.

I’ve seen several Will Smith movies and enjoyed them. His acting keeps me interested in the story. I didn’t really want to see this movie because of the scary parts, but the fact that Will Smith was the major part of the movie changed my mind. His heroes are smart, tough, emotional, and believable.

No comments: