What Makes a Hero Likable?

The traits I see in the antiheroes show me how to make my good guys more likable.

The Antihero is not my favorite character. The stories with the protagonist who lacks traditional heroic qualities aren't as much fun for me to write. But it is interesting that there are plenty of antihero stories around. They help me see how it's possible to like a less-than-heroic protagonist.

Heroes are known for personal sacrifice, but often the antihero is found saving the day even though he really doesn't want to. He does it because he can.

The antihero often rescues someone for selfish reasons. He can benefit from it in some way. It's his selfishness that causes him to be the antihero, but I wonder if he longs to be selfless like the hero.

For instance in The Pirates of the Carribean, we see Captain Jack Sparrow saving the heroine more than once. But he's a selfish, morally-limited pirate.

Will Turner displays more heroic attitudes and actions than Sparrow, but Sparrow is still likable. We cheer for Captain Jack when he overcomes obstacles, but he's still a pirate. He's a funny, goal-oriented, adorable, selfish pirate.

You can see why I study the antihero. Doesn't every writer want to create a hero as popular as Jack Sparrow?

No comments: