Camy Tang, BOTY Finalist

Camy Tang’s novel Sushi for One is a finalist in two categories of the ACFW’s 2008 Book of the Year contest. She’s competing in the Lits category and the Debut Author category.

I can tell you that her writing is compelling and fun. I’ve read the first two books in her Sushi Series, and I’m waiting for number three.

When I read Sushi for One, Camy Tang's lovable characters sprang to life. Her story of four very interesting, yet very different, girl cousins who help each other through difficult situations kept me intrigued and wondering how it would all work out.

Tomboy Lex Sakai needs a boyfriend, and she needs him now. Or at least before Grandma sees her at cousin Mariko’s wedding. Grandma Sakai isn’t your average good-natured granny. She knows how to wield enough power to get what she wants, even when what she wants (a boyfriend for Lex) isn’t easy to come by due to Lex’s high standards.

Will she find a boyfriend through her volleyball friends, at her workplace, or from her brother’s long list of friends? All she knows is she’d better find one quick. If she doesn’t, Grandma will withdraw her support from Lex’s girls’ volleyball team. She was planning to take them to playoffs, but if Grandma cuts funding, how will she cover the traveling costs?

I thoroughly enjoyed the hero’s part in this story. He was visible, yet subtle. Heroic, yet had an obvious weakness. As I read, I knew they would get together, but was surprised by the ending. In fact when I turned to the last page of the story, I immediately thought, “Darn. It’s over.” I wanted the story to continue because I loved the characters.

This Asian Chick-lit is a must-read for anyone interested in a fun story with dramatic turns. According to the front cover, “Sometimes romance needs a kick of wasabi.”

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a writer!!!!!!

Domino said...

You're right. Camy's awesome. I can't wait for Single Sashimi to get here.

Camy Tang said...

Thanks so much, Laura! I can't tell you how much it meant to me to read you blog post today!

I hope you like Single Sashimi--I have to admit, it's my favorite book in the series.
Camy

Domino said...

Hi Camy,

I won't see you at ACFW this year, but I'll be interested to see who the winners of this years BOTY are. Good luck.

Thanks for stopping by.
Laura