Halloween Candy

Why would I rant? The only reason anyone would rant about anything is that they feel strongly about it. If they didn’t care, they wouldn’t rant. I’m passionate about a lot of things. Some of those things don't get mentioned on my blog because I’m trying to use a little self-control.

Well, this month, all bets are off. We’re taking off the chains and setting the rant free.

I’m guessing I’m not the only one who thinks about the topics I’ll be ranting about. Okay, maybe some of the topics will have a smaller group of fans, but that doesn’t stop me from mentioning those things as well.

First Rant Of The Month: Halloween Candy

Of course, I have nothing against candy. I love a good chocolate bar. I even give them away instead of eat them for most of the night. The thing that gets me every time is when people taller than me come to my door begging for candy. I’m thinking those kids are old enough to have jobs. Don’t you think?

My brother makes them answer math questions before he gives away the candy. Yep, you've got to work for it at his door. I think that's awesome, but I don't have the guts to do that.

I have no problem giving away candy to three year olds or even third graders, but when they’re towering over me, I wonder if I should go with the all-night-long phrase, “Aren’t you the cutest little thing?”

Actually, my several-years-long tradition of telling each child who comes to my door, “Jesus loves you” or some other similar statement has kept parents bringing their children to my door. One parent shouted from the sidewalk, “I remember you from last year.” It confirmed to me that we all want to be told that we’re loved.

So when I see gigantic monsters holding out plastic grocery bags half-full of candy, I’ll give them the same treatment as any other child. Make them aware that they’re loved and it diffuses whatever Halloween sentiment they might’ve been thinking.

Rant over.

In keeping with the monthly topic of feeling strongly about an issue, my featured movies for the month of November will have characters who act according to their strong feelings. My devotional blog, Seek God With Me, will have blog posts about people in the Bible who felt strongly about something important.

November is also the month of Thanksgiving, so I want to let you know that I thank God for all my readers.