Summer Reading, part eight


Today, we're covering Psalm 42 through Psalm 48. I'm only giving brief summaries of a few of them. Read them on your own and make a comment if you like.

Thirsty? Don’t get dehydrated. Reach for a glass of water and Psalm 42. This psalm reminds us to reinvigorate our relationship with God when we become depressed. We can call out to God and let him know that we thirst for him, the Living God, who refreshes us with living water.

Psalm 43 is five verses of struggle. When we find ourselves disturbed, we can coach ourselves to hope in God and praise him while on the journey to get back with God, who is our joy and delight.

Psalm 45 is one of the happy psalms. When I read it, I imagine a majestic scene. A royal couple is participating in a wedding. The regal bride, dressed in embroidered garments, is led to the king. I think about how we will be presented to Jesus like a bride is presented to the groom. Our job is to honor him, as it says in verse 11. “Let the king be enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord.”

I enjoyed reading Psalm 46 because of the comfort I get from the strength it displays. You could put a framed copy of Psalm 46:5 by your bed and read it every morning. “God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.” And maybe at night before bed, read verse 10-11, “He says, ‘Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.’ The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.”

Don’t forget about the psalms I’ve left out of my summaries. We’ve covered 48 psalms – and they’re all very tasty. Read and enjoy.

No comments: