Summer Reading, part sixteen


Today’s reading includes Psalms 84 through 89. This section gives us a few verses that are easy to memorize. Pick out a few that stand out to you and keep them at the front of your memory banks for a quick withdrawal.

Many people strive to become well known in their industry. There are also those who hate their job and long to do meaningful work. They want to be in a good place. Psalm 84 is a great song to sing in gratitude of being in a good place. This psalmist understood the comfort and contentment of staying in the presence of God.

Psalm 84:10 speaks to our connection with God. “Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.” Never have I felt more content than when I’m in the presence of God. It’s a good place. I wonder if those who long for success in their jobs can see that there is a deeper success in the presence of God that will affect their daily jobs in a good way.

In Psalm 86, two verses stand out to me. Many people pray, but few listen. That’s why Psalm 86:7 stands out to me. “When I am in distress, I call to you, because you answer me.” The ending, “answer me”, is something you have to listen for. Are you just praying or are you hearing God’s answer? How will you know if God answers prayer if you don’t stick around and listen?

Psalm 86:11, “Teach me your way, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name”, is similar to Psalm 32:8 in that they both are written by someone whose heart is inclined for receiving instruction. If we remain teachable, we can grow in our obedience to and success with God. Hanging out with God is a great way to learn from him.

Next time, prepare for the powerful nineties. We’ll begin with Psalms 90-93.

No comments: