Valentine's Day

Ah, February! The Month of Love!

This week, I heard a radio caller giving her suggestion for Valentine's gifts for men. It's true that men are hard to buy for. Most of the TV commercials are targeting women.

You don't see a jewelry store commercial showing a woman trying to pick out a diamond ring for a man. Men like chocolate, but you don't see many commercials showing women picking boxes of chocolates for men. Flower companies probably will never suggest we have a dozen roses delivered to our men's place of business.

If I gave my husband a small bottle of men's cologne for Valentine's Day, he might sniff his arm pits and say something like, "What. I showered."

Let's face it. Men like getting gifts. But they have a much easier time giving them to us than we do to them. Men get reminders on all media outlets that a major gift-giving time is approaching. Women don't usually need the reminders, but we could sure use some suggestions.

Women have to think harder and work at getting the right gift for each holiday. For instance, do we give our men a couple of frozen steaks? Do we give them a gift card to a hardware store - again? Do we give them another Three Stooges tie?

Am I worrying too much? Is Valentine's Day just for women? (yes? cool. bring it on. - just kidding)

My husband and I don't wait for Valentine's Day to celebrate. We welcome any opportunity to wish each other a Happy Month of Love. If my hug quota is low, I can build up a surplus during February.

So enjoy the month with the one you love. And don't stress over gifts. It's the daily love that counts anyway.

No comments: