Speak the Truth in Love

Everybody needs friends. Friends tell you the truth when you need to hear it. They tell you in a nice way, but they tell you.

I have a friend who is too nice to tell me the truth about something I need to hear which might embarrass me, or about an area I need to grow in. She’s the kind of person who thinks, “Who am I to suggest that she change something?”

I have another friend who will tell me the truth all day and all night about my areas that need improvement. I know she loves me because she is direct enough to make sure I get the message and kind enough to make sure I receive it well.

Direct Friend shows her love by suggesting changes before I get embarrassed. Nice Friend will either try to ignore it or share my embarrassment and laugh with me about it until we’re both in tears.

For example, let’s say I don’t know that my skirt has a small, but noticeable rip in it, and I’m about to speak in front of a group.

Nice Friend will probably leave the room to think about what she could do to help me. But she won’t go back in to hear me speak because she’ll crack up at the sight. Of course, not laughing at me, but you know. It’s a funny scene. There I am, giving a serious talk in front of a group, and my rip’s just flapping in the wind. And if one person starts laughing at it, others undoubtedly will too.

On the other hand, Direct Friend will grab me before I’m welcomed onto the stage and pull me into the bathroom to tape the underneath side of my rip. She won’t care if anyone else is in the bathroom watching her lift up my skirt and apply tape. And if she can’t find invisible tape, she’ll use part of a “Hello, I’m…” name tag. She’ll repair the rip and tell me to forget it ever happened. She’ll display the “on with the show” attitude.

Is one a better friend than the other? No. They’re just different. I can’t help but love each of them for their uniqueness.

Thank God for good friends.

No comments: