You've Got Mail

Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan teamed up to give heart-warming performances in this 1998 romance, “You’ve Got Mail”. This is one of my favorite movies.

When my husband and I watch it together, he’ll comment right at the moment when Joe Fox realizes he’s in love with Kathleen Kelly. “That’s the turning point right there,” he’ll say.

And I love the moment Kathleen recognizes that not only does her enemy have a heart, but he has feelings for her.

I think men and women enjoy great romantic movies because the character never sees that moment coming. It’s fun to see the change of expression on the character’s face. Usually, silence marks the spot.

Every time I watch a romantic comedy or romantic drama, I keep an eye out for dialogue I know that character’s going to regret. They say things to tip us off that something will happen soon to change their current state of mind. There’s a moment of weakness. There’s an inner struggle being played out on the screen. There’s a freefall from the strong defenses that character had built.

I root for the characters. Cheering them on toward their inevitable happy ending. It can’t come soon enough. If the movie is really good, my muscles get tense. To me, this is silly. I know how it ends!

Nevertheless, tense muscles and all, I’ll watch this one again and again.

No comments: