Paying Attention

Welcome to tax season.

Usually the announcement that it’s time to pay the government earns a groan from law-abiding, tax-paying citizens.

We work hard for our paychecks and don’t like having to pay an enormous chunk of change for things we don’t need. Most people don’t mind paying for important services that government employees offer. I think there would be a lot of unhappy people if we didn’t have some of the services that our taxes pay for.

However, I wonder what our senators and representatives would say to separate billing. Would they give their constituents the same quality of service if they had to bill each member of their grassroots support?

I doubt that the police force would bill separately because they help so many more people than those who live nearby. It’s impossible to bill visitors. You never know who will need help until they show up and ask for it.

People who receive help from God don’t pay taxes to Him. We serve him willingly, and he helps us with our daily lives. Join me on Seek God With Me, my devotional blog, where I’m discussing the ways God helps us.

No comments: