The Philadelphia Story, 1940

When a woman decides to get married for the second time, her ex-husband shows up to throw a wrench in the works.

Katharine Hepburn stars as a bride-to-be from a family who doesn’t want the limelight. She joins Cary Grant and James Stewart in this elegant story of love. I noticed how often characters drag their feet, but not literally. They do what they’re supposed to, when they’re supposed to. It’s the why that makes the story happen.

Everyone is running from something or to something. The bride-to-be has more than one man after her, and even the female photographer is chased by a man. Can it be that there’s more to the story than love? Or is it love that motivates people to do what they do?

If I had ever seen this movie, I’d forgotten so much of it that it seemed like a new story to me. I love Cary Grant movies, James Stewart movies, and Katharine Hepburn movies. So of course I enjoyed this one. The characters have little quirks that make them human and wonderful.

No comments: