Summer Reading, part two


Come on and read through the Psalms with me this summer. We’ll take a little at a time and savor the flavor of the sweet words of God.

This week I’ve read through the first twelve of the Psalms. The last seven remind us that evildoers will not go unpunished. God examines the hearts of the righteous and the wicked. He sees those who plot against him. He hears the cries of the weak. God will come to the rescue.

In Psalm 7:10, I find a comforting verse. “My shield is God Most High, who saves the upright in heart.” This reminds me to let God be God when people give me trouble. I don’t have to hang onto the verbal blows which are aimed at me. I can allow God to take the brunt of the brutality. I can allow him to be my shield. If I end up in any kind of distressing situation, God will be there with me.

Psalm 9:10 repeats the same comforting feeling. “Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.” This verse goes very well with my devotional blog, Seek God With Me. I know that if I seek the Lord with my whole heart, I will find him because he will never forsake me.

The Psalms are great reminders of God’s truth. We read some of the same phrases in several places in the Bible. For instance, Psalm 12:6 states that “the words of the Lord are flawless”. That idea is also found in Psalms 18 and 30. I can trust what God says because he never lies. On the other hand, you can trust the wicked to spew lies often. Their words are flawed, but God’s words are flawless.

No comments: