New Stuff

Last January, I reviewed some Edith Head movies (The Sting, A Place in the Sun, Sabrina, and Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid) and paired the movies with devotionals about clothing. We took a look at garments of skin in Genesis, David trying on Saul’s armor in 1Samuel, the full armor of God in Ephesians, and Aaron’s priestly garments in Exodus.

February of 2012 was Girl Power month. I reviewed four movies from the 1930s with powerful female characters. I think a lot of people like to see a girl with strength and grit. Imitation of Life, Reckless, The Mad Miss Manton, and Too Hot to Handle all showed that kind of girl who, when she is down, that doesn’t mean you should count her out. My February devotionals were about powerful women of the Bible: Hannah, Deborah, Lydia, and a powerful mother from Matthew 15.

March was about World War II, and April was about murder. But I lightened things up a bit and discussed food in May. My devotionals were about the food issues of Jacob and Esau, Mary and Martha, Samson, and Jesus. My May movie reviews covered The Harvey Girls, The Lady and the Tramp, and That Touch of Mink.

June, July, and August gave me time to share the Psalms on my blog. Together, we read through 150 Psalms in 92 days.

September came along and helped me discuss convincing others of the truth. Truth is something that is sometimes amazingly difficult to persuade people about, at least in Alfred Hitchcock’s films. Therefore, I reviewed four of his films from the 1930s.

Last October, I encouraged us all to face the scary things in life. My devotionals covered topics like facing demons, facing disease, facing God, and facing self-will. I reviewed classic scary movies like The Invisible Man, Frankenstein, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

November was an important month for voters, so I covered ways of praying for our leaders. Some political-themed movies were highlighted: Kisses for my President, Goodbye my Fancy, and Meet John Doe. There were a lot of movies to choose from, so it was hard narrowing them down to only three.

December seems like a long time ago, now that Christmas is behind us. I helped us all get our Christmas wish list together by reminding us of how to pray for stuff. We prayed for God to help us make personal changes. We prayed for stuff like: being near God, allowing God to speak through us to our neighbors, and speaking helpful words. I reviewed movies that we see on TV every year: A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and It’s a Wonderful Life.

So now, it’s January again. What will we see this year? I can imagine good things for this year. But we’ll need to set good goals in order to see good things happen.

In order to help us get in the mood for welcoming good changes and working to make things better, I’ll review movies about inventors. My devotionals will cover Bible verses that relate to a topic I’ll call New Stuff.

I will start today with a post about the new covenant. Join me at Seek God With Me and let me know what you think.

 

No comments: