Write Well Right Now

Write well. This is the goal of every writer. To get through a page of prose without error is a fine goal, but most authors make a few mistakes along the way.

Some writers have a goal of writing a certain number of pages each day and some strive for a certain number of words. I've heard authors tell that they write the heart of the message without a thought to correctness and go back later for editing. I try to write a scene in my story while thinking about how it flows from the previous chapters and how it will lead to future events in the story. But I also correct mistakes as I go. I want to write well right now.

I've told someone recently, "I don't want you to like my story. I want you to love my story." I intend to write about interesting characters doing wonderfully unusual or difficult things. I enjoy writing the feelings these characters have.

I told that same person, "My family always comes first."

I have a deadline of "ASAP" imposed on me through a conversation with someone who wanted to see some of my writing. I let that person know that I plan to do a great job of sending her my best work, but if I want my kids to wear clean clothes, I also have to do laundry.

Everyone has to strike a balance between things they love to do and things they have to do. I want to write 2000 words every day. I haven't been doing that. I am working on the balance between writing and household chores and fun with the kids.

If I can focus on my story in between laundry loads during school time, I can spend time with the kids after school and pick up my writing again at bedtime.

While I'm writing, I have to focus on the current scene and correct mistakes as I go. Editing is done after a few chapters have been written. I can go back to reread a few scenes, rethink the order of events, and begin retelling the story in a better way.

Patience is something I work on during periods of frustration. I can't write a blockbuster novel when I'm spending all my time cleaning house, helping with homework, and reminding kids to practice the piano. But I can do some writing, some housework, some instruction to kids, and some kid-hugging - according to my time limitations.

When I'm raising kids, I want to raise them well. When I'm writing, I want to write well. (sigh) And I want to do it well right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey there fellow CBA writer and blogee. I started writing my novel with a sticky note stuck to my computer:

One page a day X 365 days = one novel.

Isn't that great? Just write one page a day and at the end of the year, voila!