Growing Pains

Back to work! No goofing off!

I've just completed an online course called Deep Editing, taught by Margie Lawson. I highly recommend it. There was an incredible amount of teaching in just thirty days of posts. It is said to be a graduate-level editing course. Yes, it's hard work. But I believe the work is necessary.

The term "growing pains" is used for a reason. Going through that course was like having a funnel full of molasses poured into my head. It's sweet, but slow. Getting it all in there is a process. Patience is required.

My head felt like a sponge. When it was full, I had to squeeze out something to make room for more. Read, study, apply, check your work, and repeat.

Writers must push themselves to continually produce their best work, continually learn more, continually grow. When someone ahead of me reaches down to pull me along - that's what happened in this editing course - I'm thankful. Thankful because I felt like I was picked up and dropped onto a skateboard. Now I don't have to walk the lonely road so slowly. My feet have wings, or at least wheels. The length of the road didn't change, just the speed in which I travel.

I have a whole manuscript to edit, and I'm going to be very busy. No one can do this work for me.

Sigh. Back to work.

No comments: